Tuesday, February 28, 2006

CD of the Day, 2/28/06: David William-One Way Ticket


Edinburgh, Scotland's David William proves he has the pop goods with his extraordinary debut album One Way Ticket. If I didn't know better (and I suppose I truly don't), I'd swear this was Neil Finn putting out an album under a pseudonym. Not only does William sound like Finn (at least as much as anybody this side of Shane Nicholson), his songs have the effortless pop grace of Finn's best work.

Apparently those like me who troll CD Baby for the next exciting new thing agree with this assessment, as the first batch of discs they received have sold out in about three days' time. I'm not even going to bother to get into describing individual tracks - they're all that good. But here's two you can download directly:

Satellites
Come and Go

Then go to this page and stream the rest of the tracks in their entirety. And then you'll just have to give CD Baby your email address so they can notify you when they have this one back in stock, because you'll be wanting it - badly.

Either I'm getting way too easy to please (lately at times I feel like I've been gushing like a slightly more articulate version of the Chris Farley character on SNL who could only say "you are awesome" while interviewing McCartney), or 2006 is shaping up to be an incredible year for power pop. Two months in, and I'm already building a top 10 that's going to be tough to crack.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Steve,

Thanks for finding this guy. This stuff is as good as it gets, in my opinion.

Scott Menefee
Copperdown